MÚCURA: Inspiration

During my Christmas Holidays I had the opportunity to travel to Colombia to relax and disconnect after the ENO Project.

My initial idea for the Grad Film it wasn’t very clear, something wasn’t convincing myself about it so I was doubting a lot. What I was sure about is that I have to enjoy my work and the Grad Film and do something that inspires me and that was not it.

In Colombia I spent few days in a beautiful paradisiac island, disconnected from the world. It was there where the inspiration for my new idea came to me. I was amazed by the sounds that surrounded me: the sea, the wind, the birds, the trees… I had to do something related to that place.

It was then when the guide in the hotel I was staying offered to show me Isla Múcura around. Múcura was the island next to ours and also where Luis (the guide) was born. While we were walking through the island he told me this:

“I once fell in love with a girl, here. I didn’t know how to read or write so a friend of mine helped me to write a letter for her so I could show my love for her. But in the end she fell in love with my friend instead of me and they left the island together. At that moment I realised how important was to know how to read and write.”

I saw it very clearly, I had to make a story about Luis’s experience. So I tried to take pictures of everything I could in the island just in case this was going to turn into my Grad Film.

I want to share some of them so you can see where the inspiration comes from. So happy I could meet Luis and know that amazing place.

Author: Sara Mengual Aragonés

Uk based, Spanish Character designer. Dreamer and enthusiastic. Follow my work on instagram: @hellomengual